Saturday 23 July 2011

Hyper Japan 2011 - hyped up?


Well Hyper Japan this July was certainly up tot he 'hype'!

Having been to the previous modest Hyper Japan in 2010 where even Jonathan Ross came to see what all the comotion was about, this year Hyper Japan showed it's popularity had grown 5 fold.

From approaching the queue on saturaday which almost reached the station from Olympia 2. After all the excitment of seeing lavish lolitas adorned in their colourful wigs and matching parasols I knew I was in for a treat. Upon entering and receiving a program I started marking my map for everything I wanted to see and in the ocean of people that wasn't easy. This venue was double the size of the previous Hyper Japan and now with two floors, come armed with cash and spare carrier bags people, I wasn't going to leave empty handed.

Following the loud shouts I could tell a lot was oging on by the main stage with live sushi sessions, sake tasting and my personal favourite Kanon Wakeshima was performing too! This is one funky J-pop lolita cellist playing from the age of 3,eventually got a deal with Sony label DefSTAR Records; all by the time she was 18! She even stayed to do autoographs, check her out! Her and other entertainers came in adi for the Tsunami appeal for Japan where a raffle was being held daily and cherry blossam badges were being sold to help raise money for the cause.

Amongst the stalls of pretty prints from Deviant art and youtube sensations busking were some unusal sights like the ITK robots with moving hands and event he electronic toilet display! Occasionally I stopped for a rest and a quick sugar fix from Cyber Candy and was bombared with free samples of Sushi from Yo sushi and Yakult! I managed to find rrom rare art books to colourful cosplay outfits and kitch t shirts from Genki Gear too. My only regret was not being able to get a Japanese style photo in Yukata and wig posing with a samurai sword. Next time you better belive it I'll be armed with a samurai sword umbrella too ! Fun for all, I even saw an Official Toei Animation Lufi (from One Piece) hi fiving an elderly gentleman, all around people were pleased, two floors of Japanese culture to the max. I was even invited to watch Japan Crafts make origami animals and craft beutiful cards.

The atmosphere was electric and friendly, people mingling in the bustling Maid Cafe and swapping DS friend codes at Nintendo Unleashed - who also launched a competition for answering a Zelda question to attain a limited edition Ocarina, needless to say i won one with my vast years of gaming :p

This is one my favourite events of the year so far educational and entertaining, I will be sure to follow up in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment